Saturday, July 10, 2010

Serving God and People too!

In 2005 after Hurricane Katrina, I had the opportunity to participate in a recovery trip to Biloxi, MS. It meant a great deal to me because when I was a child, I was in a disaster. When I was six years old, my house was completely destroyed in the Xenia tornado. Members of my family were injured and some friends were killed. The biggest impact on me as a child was that one day my life looked one way and the next it was completely different. In fact thisis the beginning of my faith in God. I was really scared. My Dad told me that it did not matter what we lost but just that we had each other and that God would take care of us. It helped, even though I was terrified of the wind for some time.

So back to Biloxi, when I first saw the damage I was scared. Later it was great to do my little part in helping the people get back on their feet. We cleaned out houses, we cleaned yards filled with several feet of debris and we just listened to hurting people.

I'm glad that I could minister to others as they had ministered to me.

Serving Him,

Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment