Tuesday, April 10, 2012

"My Own Worst Enemy, how to stop holding yourself back" by Janet Davis

From time to time, I get books to review. This time I chose this book because I had heard of the author. I often listen to Midday Connection on Moody radio. Janet Davis has appeared on there several times. I have always loved that she is very vulnerable about her own life and that she likes to explore the depth of people in the bible, particularly the female ones. To be honest, I didn't really pay much attention to the title when I chose this selection. So I was greatly surprised when this book came and it met me exactly where I am.
I shared in my previous post, that my goal is to Create this year. Most notably "I want to live the life that God has created in me not just what to do to survive." This book hit me over the head. I felt like Janet Davis had been reading my mind. I know that as she says,"I diminish my voice and my contribution".

I loved this book.  In the introduction, she shares that "she became acutely aware if how many awesome and gifted women spent significant amounts of time and energy neglecting, dismissing, or actively covering up their beauty and talent". I so think that I do this. I self-sabotage my life. I call it a fear of failure which it is, but to be honest I don't believe that someone would want me as their employee, their spouse, their friend or their mother. I don't believe that my words,and actions are effective. Janet Davis call this "Shining". She goes on to say "that good Christian women have been taught for generations that it is rude to talk about oneself, much less to shine." because we don't want to shine, we call this humility and think we are being spiritual. Instead we are missing the fact that we are gifted and unique. Ray Kane, another frequent Midday Connection guest says "we each are a unique fingerprint of God, and we express God through being whom he created us to be".
The book is divided into three sections Many Faces, Many Phases and Choices Along the Way.  She begins each chapter with an individual consideration, such as "Make a list of five subjects that you are so passionate about that you would stay up late just to discuss with friends" Then she explores the real life story of a woman, often herself and how God is revealing what is missing in their life. Then each chapter includes a story from scripture of how a woman needs to or has allowed God to shine in her life. Finally she shares a change in the real person's life. Each chapter contains personal challenges titled Your Story.

I am still working through many of these questions. I think working through many of these questions will enable me to create the life I am called to and allow me to shine. This book is definitely a journey, Janet Davis's journey but it can be my journey and your journey also.
   "Her previous painful life experiences became her deep wisdom and the seed of phenomenal inspiration for her creative soul which she now used to bless and comfort... her story shaped her ministry; her identity shaped her creativity.(p98)".

I received no compensation for this review other that a free copy of the book from Bethany House a division of Baker Publishing group. I saw this print on the Kelly Rae Roberts online shop. it is so appropriate.

  Permission to shine - Print


http://shop.kellyraeroberts.com/collections/prints/products/permiission-to-shine-print

No comments:

Post a Comment