Friday, March 18, 2011

DEEPER into the WORD New Testament by Keri Wyatt Kent

 This is a book that I have been reading for the last month. I haven't finished it but it is really a book that I'm not sure you would ever really finish.Let me explain. The book is a  "Reflection so 100 Words from the New Testament" so the subtitle of the book says. That is how it is set up, not in chapters except for an introduction and a closing appendix, but just one word study after another.

I recently had the opportunity to become a book reviewer for Baker publishing, so I chose this book because I had heard of the author and through it looked intriguing. I received this book from the publisher. It is not something that I would normally buy. I tend to be attracted to books that are more "psychological" in nature but they usually are the author's premise supported by God's work in their own life. I think after reading this book--I may challenge myself in what I read.

Keri Wyatt Kent understand that this book is not normal to be read and finished. She sees her book as a "tool to help you understand both the words and their context so that you can engage in the spiritual discipline of the study of God's word". She then gives three uses for her book: A reference volume to look up words you come across in your reading of Scripture, a study guide to launch your own study of specific words, and as a devotional.

For me, she does achieve these goals. I loved her word studies, and scripture really did come to life through her descriptions of the Greek words. It makes the reading of Scripture have greater depth and understanding then English gives value to it. A good test for me in reading is "Do I want to read Scripture more? Do I love Jesus more? Does this book inspire me to read other books?". I think this book motivated me to want to read the scripture and see a bigger more loving Jesus? Also I want to read many of the books that she quotes.

Secondly, this book does inspire my own desire for word study. I have all the tools that I need for word study. The appendix offers excellent resources for word study both online and in books. I have done some word study through courses I have taken in the past and  through some Kay Arthur Precept Studies. I have seen the value in them, but I must admit I stop the process when the study is over. My Vine's Concise Dictionary and my Strong's Exhaustive Concordance are gathering dust on my book shelf. So this book reminds me of the value of stopping and looking at the words when reading the word.

I think I mostly used this book as a devotional. I have been a Christian for many years so many of these words are par to f my everyday vocabulary. However, I think there is deeper meaning to them and these words need to grow in meaning in my life. I must say here that I do not always agree with Mrs. Kent's conclusions. I think we come form very different doctrinal views. I think God plays a bigger part in our salvation and we play a smaller part--but I can still learn from her. I think this book would be an excellent tool to mentor a new Christian or someone just beginning to regularly read the Scriptures for themselves.

So what will I do with this book? I will first continue to use it as a devotional. I'll get it out in my own personal study or a group study when we are discussing the meaning of the words. Then I want to use it as a guide in my own word study.

I think that not matter where you are in reading the word, this would be a good tool to have to expand your reading of the scriptures.

No comments:

Post a Comment