Friday, April 22, 2011

Larkspur Cove by Lisa Wingate

Let me say first that I enjoyed this read. It is a very engaging novel. There are some things that I do not like about it because of it being considered inspirational fiction.

The main female character,Andrea Henderson leaves her life in Houston, to return to her parents' lake house in Larkspur Cove, an exclusive resort at Moses Lake. Since she is now a resident of Moses Lake, she and her son get to know the residents of Moses Lake and not just the vacationers. I have had this experience when I worked at local businesses at the beach two different summers in college. You begin to see the vacation paradise in a new light and that there are problems among the pretty facade.

Andrea begins working for a counselor who does long term meeting with the clients of the county child welfare program. Through this she begins to leave her country club facade behind and deal with the real issues of the society. There is great poverty on the lake. The mystery of this novel involves the town recluse who now seems to have a little girl with him wherever he goes.

Andrea and her son are damaged from the public disgrace of her ex-husband who was a church leader. Andrea arrives in Moses Lake scared and angry and afraid that she and her son can ever heal. She is bitter and she abandons the church and the most part God. I think this is a very timely subject because the facade of the perfect church is fading. I like that it shows that Christians aren't perfect, they need to be the people God is calling them to be. In this new environment they thrive as people want to be with them because of who they are and not their church position

Andrea through her work meets the local game warden, Mart McClendon. He has returned to his boyhood home to escape himself and his family. He also needs forgiveness. Primarily from his own inability to forgive himself.

So this is my dilemma, these two people find forgiveness and healing and they find the ability to be real and genuine people. I just don't like that this healing  seems to come more from their relationship with each other then from God. I like that Andrea begins to see herself as free. This freedom seems to always express it self by running into the night for clandestine meetings with Mart. Although their relationship does not involve sexual relations, making out in the dark in the moonlight just doesn't seem like appropriate behavior for the mother of someone who is reeling from his father's adultery.

I think a new man is a very worldly solution to healing and forgiveness. I wish this novel had shown the healing more from God or even a community of faith. I think inspirational fiction should point to Jesus as the healer not just a man.

I received no compensation for this review. I did receive the book free of charge from Bethany House.


Keep Reading,
Dawn

1 comment:

  1. I just signed up for Bethnay House a couple weeks ago. I haven't gotten picked yet.

    I have a few books on my book to read list....

    Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul

    Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl

    Made to Crave

    WEIRD: Because Normal Isn't Working

    grace for the good girl (comes out in Sept.)

    Happy Easter Dawn!!! xo

    ReplyDelete